How, who, when checking account? Everything about the account
Do you actually need a checking account? And if so, for what? And how do you open such a one? When checking accounts, who checking account, why and where you can open an account – we clarify important questions about the checking account. In addition, we will give you the essential criteria that you should take into account when choosing a suitable financial institution. After all, you want to get the best out of yourself, right?
When do you need a checking account?
At the latest when you start your first job, you have to give your employer an account to which he can transfer your monthly salary. But you also need a checking account if, for example, you want to shop online and pay cashless in the shop or restaurant. Regular liabilities such as rent, telephone or electricity costs are nowadays settled exclusively cashless in the form of standing orders or direct debit through the current account. Likewise for children, a checking account already offers: They learn how to handle money and what opportunities there are to save. Pocket money or the payment of a first holiday job can then already flow into the current account.
Who can open a checking account – are there any conditions?
Many young people or new customers often ask themselves, who can actually open an account? Basically anyone can open a free checking account. For some banks, you have to meet different requirements. These may include:
- Residence in Germany
- Regular minimum deposit
- No negative entries in the Schufa
Important: The conditions differ from bank to bank. For example, in the case of the 1822direkt, a free checking account is not tied to any conditions, such as a salary or pension receipt. Even without a minimum deposit, you can open an account. However, if such takes place at least once a month, the checking account is free of charge for you. Otherwise, minor account maintenance fees will apply.
Good to know: Under certain conditions, you will not only receive a free checking account. Some banks even reward you with a starting balance when you open an account.
And how do you open a checking account now?
The opening of an account at an online bank is particularly uncomplicated over the Internet. On the pages of the respective direct bank, you will usually find a link to a registration form. A PostIdent document is created to record your identity. It is necessary that you go with the requested documents to the nearest post office. By checking your ID, an employee confirms your identity there and sends it to the bank along with the required documents.
Alternatively there is the VideoIdent procedure. In this case, you legitimize yourself via a webcam on your smartphone, tablet or PC and your identity card.
Whenever you open a checking account, you should pay attention
As mentioned earlier, different banks offer different terms when you open an account. In any case, a comparison is worthwhile to get the best out of it. Pay attention to the following criteria:
- Offer a credit on account opening?
- Free account management possible?
- Is cash withdraw free?
- How good is the bank’s ATM network in Germany and Europe? At how many machines can you conveniently withdraw money?
- How much is a credit line possible and what is the interest rate?
- Is the bank up to date and offers, for example, the possibility of photo transfers?
- Is there a free credit card to the checking account?
What suits me best? The 1822MOBILE checking account? *
How to deposit and withdraw money?
How to pay in
When you open an account with a direct bank, you can deposit money in the branches, such as the savings banks.
Tip: Ask in advance to save yourself unwanted costs – sometimes there are fees for depositing.
Of course, you also have the option of transferring money to your account via online banking at any time.
How to withdraw money
Most direct banks now offer their customers the option of an ATM search via apps. How it works? Just enter the location and let the App display the nearest ATM. This is especially useful if you are traveling in a city where you are unfamiliar. If you use the app of your bank, you will usually see the same at which machines withdrawing money is free. You should be aware of this because you may be charged at certain ATMs or abroad.
Withdraw money – how much?
Of course, you can withdraw money both domestically and abroad with your checking or credit card. Regarding the possible amount of the sums to be withdrawn, the rule is: With the girocard you have a limit of 1,000 euros per day and 2,000 euros per week. But even that can vary from bank to bank.
When checking account? Who checking account? Key facts at a glance
- When checking account? Whenever you want! If you choose to book from an online bank, you do not even have to stick to official opening hours to open an account.
- Who checking account? A checking account can basically open, depending on the bank’s requirements. A special offer is, for example, the current account for students or students, which offers special services. These include, for example, a free current account up to 26 years or the option of a free credit card. Incidentally, a current account can already be set up for this with the birth of a child – a good opportunity to financially provide for the offspring or to teach them how to deal with money in good time. In addition, the 1822MOBILE current account provides modern banking for a digital affine customer group.
- Where checking account? When you open your account at a direct bank, everything is digital. This means for you: Account opening, account management or the account change to a new bank can easily be made from any location. In addition, online banks often offer better terms than house banks.
- How checking account? Depending on the bank, via PostIdent or VideoIdent procedures.
- Why checking account? For making transfers, receiving payments (eg salary payments), setting up standing orders, withdrawing cash, using a credit line