Downtown takes you back in time this weekend and you can choose the era. Get groovy with the 70s, remember the sounds of 40s music; even walking with dinosaurs from the Mesozoic era. Try using clues to search for downtown destinations, then salsa, bachata and merengue all night long in our #CoolDowntown.
1. Creatures large and small leave the Mesozoic Era behind for a weekend in downtown Shreveport. Jurassic Quest/Old Oceans, the world’s largest and most popular dinosaur event offers the chance to walk among giant prehistoric beasts, dig up fossils and even ride a dinosaur. Kids will be thrilled and parents will find it hard not to be impressed too. When: Fri. & Sat., July 15 & 16, 9 a.m.-8 p.m., Sun. Jul. 17, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Where: Shreveport Convention Center, 400 Caddo St. Cost: $19/$36. Info: www.jurassicquest.com
2. After leaving Jurassic Quest, set your compass to 107 Spring Street to get Groovy at the grove. The Grove is the new downtown spot for sellers of fun, artsy, and must-have commercial items. The grand opening weekend will feature 70s-themed entertainment as well as food trucks, pop-up food vendors and boogie down music. When: Friday July 15 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday July 16 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday July 17 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Where: The Grove, 107 Spring St. Cost: Come see! Info: FB/ groovy at the grove
3. Think you know a little more about downtown? The Deaf Action Center wants to test you as part of their 40th anniversary! Their Treasure hunt will give you 50 clues and you have to decide where they lead. When the hunt is over, gather at the Lot for lunch and find out which team wins the grand prize of $500. When: Saturday, July 16, 9 a.m. to noon. Where: The Lot, 400 Crockett St. Cost: $10 per team member (up to 6 per team). Info: FB/Deaf Action Center Scavenger Hunt
4. The Hills will be alive on Common Street as the Von Trapp family sings to the Emmett Hook Center this weekend (and next). The sound of music is a beloved (and true) story; to repeat or review. When: Fri-Sun, July 15-17, various performances. Where: Emmett Hook Center, 550 Common St. Cost: $15-$20. Info: emmetthookcenter.org
5. Whether you are a beginner or close to the professional, find your Latin dance atmosphere at the Lot on Saturday evening. Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia and more will be on your dance card at Latin nights. Learn new moves or practice old ones and have fun doing it! When: Saturday, July 16, 8 p.m. Where: The Lot, 400 Crockett St. Cost: $5. Info: FB/the downtown lot