This role will manage the communication efforts of BMI’s Pop / Rock and R & B / Hip-Hop Creative teams by working closely with senior executives and their teams to develop and execute proactive media relations campaigns supporting each division.
This role will work directly with the Executive Director of Corporate Communications and contribute to media relations efforts that support BMI by working closely with the New York-based Corporate Communications and Marketing department to align relationship campaigns. publicity, social media and advertising. As needed, support will also be provided to the LA Media Relations Officer at Latin or film-based, television and visual media events in New York.
SITE: New York, NY office. This position currently reports to the office (2) days per week and works remotely (3) days per week. Effective February 28, 2022, this position will report to the New York office Monday through Thursday and work remotely on Friday until further notice.
Essential functions: This may be representative, but not exhaustive, of those generally associated with this position.
- Oversee all media relations efforts for the Pop / Rock and R & B / Hip-Hop divisions of BMI, including communications and public relations for all events such as awards shows, festivals (ACL, Lollapalooza and SXSW, among others), panels, showcases and workshops.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with key members of the media including, but not limited to journalists, editors, producers, bloggers and other influencers. Identify and foster relationships with new media partners to expand coverage. This includes updating the contact databases.
- Write press materials including, but not limited to, proactive presentations, media alerts, press releases and photo captions.
- Collaborate with the content team and communications associate on BMI’s weekly newsletter.
- Work closely with the entire Corporate Communications department to support BMI’s overall press and marketing efforts, including:
- Collaborate with the social media team on cohesive PR and social plans to support the events and leaders of the Pop / Rock and R&B Hip / Hop divisions.
- Coordinate with the design team event media such as invitations, rehearsals and flyers, as well as the alignment of public relations strategies with advertising campaigns.
- Collaborate with the content team on written materials and video projects for BMI.com, Music World and The Weekly of BMI, including interview questions for BMI affiliates for red carpet events and discounts of awards that support the Pop / Rock and R & B / Hip-Hop divisions
- Support the LA Media Relations Manager (overseeing Latin and Film / TV Divisions) on New York based events.
- Travel will be required for festivals, showcases and events as directed by the Senior Vice President and / or General Manager.
- Negotiate and budget the services of external vendors for related events as required.
- Regular attendance.
- Other assigned tasks.
- Support our core BMI values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: A four-year bachelor’s degree in public relations or communications from a university or college (or equivalent) preferred.
Experience: At least three (3) years of experience in media relations. Public relations experience in the music industry and / or public relations agency experience is a plus.
Skills and Abilities: which may be representative but not exhaustive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal communication and writing skills.
- Solid contacts with the regional and national press and a proven experience of working with the main media and ensuring media coverage on all media.
- Highly proficient multitasking professional with exceptional creative and execution skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to build constructive and informative relationships with BMI affiliates, employees, management and suppliers.
- Able to interact professionally with a diverse population of employees and with all levels of staff and management, including senior leaders of BMI
- Must be an enterprising person who can work independently and with good judgment.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience working and maintaining database and reporting systems, as well as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Strong typing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Creative thinker with a collaborative and flexible approach.
- Positive, energetic and enthusiastic attitude.
License (s) / Certifications required: PRSA APR certification preferred
For the health and safety of our staff, BMI requires that all team members who are expected to work in BMI offices or interact with the public on BMI’s behalf, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they are ‘reasonable accommodation is requested and pre-approved. .
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal employment opportunities without race, color, sex, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and / or expression, marital or marital status, disability or any other cultural factor.