Elvis Costello is set to release an all-Spanish reimagined version of the 1978 Elvis Costello and the Attractions album, This year’s model, by Vents Magazine. For this project entitled Spanish model, Costello has teamed up with Sebastian Krys, a longtime collaborator and 18-time GRAMMY and Latin GRAMMY award winner, Sebastian Krys. Spanish model release scheduled for September 10.
This project saw Costello and Krys bring together many of the greatest rock and pop artists in the Latin music world. The album places the newly recorded Spanish performances over the band’s original studio recordings, which were taken from the original recordings and freshly mixed by Krys.
Several of the newly mixed songs are said to have lasted longer than the original versions, which Costello says now allows us to hear “What Happened Next:” like Costello and Mick Jones from The Clash playing dueling rhythm guitars in a new coda. “Thrilling” to base song “Pump it Up”, or Pete Thomas nearly destroying his drums at the end of “No Action”.
Upcoming artists would have worked to reinvent these classic songs in Spanish while retaining their original energies and meanings. The many artists presented on Spanish model include Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra and Vega.
The tracklist includes reimagined versions of all songs from the original album, plus several other tracks from those recording sessions. Spanish model will be available digitally, on CD and on 180 gram vinyl on September 10.
Costello is no stranger to releasing new versions of his music in another language. In March, he released the EP The Cuckoo Clock Face, which included six songs from her 2020 album Hey clock face reworked in French. It has also featured collaborations including artists such as Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani and Steve Nieve.
List of tracks:
- No Action – Nina Diaz
- (Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea ((I don’t want to go to) Chelsea) – Raquel Sofía y Fuego
- Yo Te Vi (The Rhythm) – Drago Rosa
- Pump it up – Juanes
- Detonants (Small Triggers) – La Marisoul
- Tu Eres Para Mi (You belong to me) – Luis Fonsi
- Hand in Hand – Francisca Valenzuela and Luis Humberto Navejas
- La Chica de Hoy (This Year’s Girl) – Cami
- Mentira (Lips) – Pablo López
- Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living in Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
- Vogue Lipstick – Murten
- La Turba (Night rally) – Jorge Drexler
- Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
- Radio Radio – Fito Paez
- Crawling in the United States – Gian Marco and Nicole Zignago
- Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out of Angels) – Vega