A former Boston prosecutor and defense lawyer facing new rape charges has been taken into custody without bail, according to Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins.
Gary Zerola, 49, of Salem, appeared in Boston City Court Thursday for a dangerousness hearing before Judge Thomas Horgan.
Prosecutors have argued that Zerola is a danger to the community as he has a history of rape allegations dating back to 1996 and was released on bail for a separate rape allegation when the most recent attack allegedly took place, he said. Rollins said.
Zerola faces charges in Suffolk Superior Court for the alleged rape of another woman in 2016, and had posted $ 10,000 bail in the case.
He has been in detention since he surrendered to authorities last week after a warrant was issued in the latest case.
Prosecutors say Zerola met the victim at a rally on January 11 and brought her back to her apartment, with mutual acquaintance.
They say Zerola then returned to the residence without the victim’s permission later that night, and she woke up to find him sexually assaulting her.
Zerola has pleaded not guilty to the rape and break and enter charges. His lawyer did not respond to an email seeking comment on Thursday, but previously called the allegations thin.