Posted on June 11, 2021
New admission policies in effect for 2021
Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird today invited area residents to the free Uncle Sam Jam Independence Day celebration at Oak Lake Park on Saturday, July 3. Food vendors open at 4:00 p.m., live music begins at 6:15 p.m. and the fireworks display will begin at 10:00 p.m.
The fireworks are sponsored by Pepsi-Cola and U-Stop and presented by J&M Displays of Yarmouth, Iowa. The show will be set to music by NRG Media / Broadcast House and broadcast on its four radio stations – B107.3 FM, Froggy 98.1 FM, 105.3 Wow FM and KLIN 1400 AM. The Lincoln Journal Star is also a partner in the celebration.
AM / FM, a five-piece rock, pop and new wave band from Lincoln will perform from 6:15 pm to 9:30 pm They will play a wide variety of 1980s hits by bands like Duran Duran, The Cars, Prince, Men At Work, Def Leppard and more. A flag lowering ceremony with taps will take place at 8:30 p.m.
Ample free parking is available in and around Oak Lake Park. More parking can be found in the festival area north of Pinnacle Bank Arena and in the grounds of Haymarket Park. The public is encouraged to arrive early to avoid traffic delays. As of 9:45 p.m., access to Sun Valley Boulevard from West “O” Street and the Cornhusker Expressway will be prohibited.
Additional parking spaces are available at the Haymarket Garage, 9th and “Q” streets, and at the Marketplace Garage, 10th and “Q” streets. StarTran will provide a free public shuttle service from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. between the main entrance of Oak Lake Park and these locations:
- Hay market garage
- Gold’s bus stop, 11th and “O”
- County-City Real Estate Complex – northeast corner of Ninth and “H” streets and southeast corner of Ninth and “K” streets. Free parking is available in two lots – one bounded by Ninth, 10th, “G” and “H” streets and one bounded by Ninth, 10th, “K” and “L” streets.
Handi-Van service is available to eligible people and reservations can be made by calling StarTran at 402-441-7109.
New admission policies in effect this year include:
- Only coolers, clear bags (maximum size 12 ”x 12” x 6 ”), blankets and lawn chairs will be permitted in Oak Lake Park. Personal items allowed in the park are limited to phones, keys and wallets.
- All park visitors and their coolers, clear bags and blankets are subject to inspection at the park entrance.
- Minors (18 and under) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Participants are reminded:
- Fireworks are prohibited in all City parks at all times. Fireworks other than those used for the City’s official show are prohibited in the park during the celebration.
- Lincoln City parks are tobacco free. City policy prohibits the use of all forms of tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chews or dips, and vaping products in parks or facilities designated as tobacco-free. .
- Alcohol is prohibited in the park.
- Personal watercraft are prohibited on the lake.
- All pets are required to wear a leash in the park. Participants are not recommended to bring pets into the park during the fireworks display.
The Red Cross will have first aid. In the event of inclement weather, some food vendors, the musical show, fireworks display and radio shows will be rescheduled at the same location and at the same times on Sunday, July 4. Visit lincoln.ne.gov/unclesamjam for more information.